It is that time of year where some homes are locked up, travels commence and the festivities begin.
We have compiled a few safety tips to bear in mind when setting out:
• Make sure your appliances, where possible, including computers, are switched off and unplugged – this can prevent possible electrical fires and/or power surge
damage – especially given the load shedding crisis we are currently experiencing.
• Make sure your water & geysers are turned off – geysers and pipes can burst and cause water damage whilst you are away, causing not only damage but potentially leaving you with a heavy water bill on your return.
• Remember to specify all valuables and electronics on your policy as this will give you “All Risks” cover for the items and peace of mind for you.
• Lock all valuables in a wall bolted safe if you are not taking them with you and check your policy to ensure they are covered properly.
• Service your alarm system, to make sure it is fully functional, including backup alarm batteries (load shedding risk), battery operated sensors, etc. Test your alarm system with your security company before going on holiday. Clear signage indicating that you make use of a security company may also help to discourage burglars.
• Double check that all windows and security gates are locked and secured before leaving your home.
• Stop all deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. An overflowing post box is a dead giveaway that you are not home.
• If travelling abroad or locally, ensure you have the necessary travel insurance. Risks such as sudden illness, medical emergencies, cancellation of flights, lost luggage etc. can cause substantial financial loss and are usually insurable.
• Check your tyres, brakes and batteries before setting off on a journey
• Make sure you have your Emergency Assist number saved on your cell phone in case of any roadside, home or medical emergency. Please contact us if you do not currently enjoy this extension and wish to activate same.
• Although you might be on holiday, thieves are not – be cautious of pickpockets and always be aware of your surroundings.
Please feel welcome to contact us should you have any queries or need any assistance. Wishing you a wonderful Festive Season and a prosperous New Year.
admin December 10, 2021
Posted In: Uncategorized