It is that time of year again; homes are locked up, travels commence and the festivities begin.
We have compiled a few safety tips to bear in mind when traveling:
• Make sure all appliances, where possible, including computers, are switched off – this can prevent possible electrical fires, power surge damage as well as save on your electricity bill – especially given the load shedding crisis we are currently experiencing.
• Make sure your water & geysers are turned off – geysers and pipes can burst and cause water damage whilst you are away, and a heavy water bill may await your return.
• Remember to specify all valuables and electronics on your policy as this will insure worldwide cover for the items and peace of mind for you.
• Ensure all valuables are locked in a wall bolted safe if you are not taking them with you.
• Although you might be on holiday, thieves are not – be cautious of pickpockets and always be aware of your surroundings.
• Double check that all windows and security gates are locked and secured before leaving your home.
• Stop all deliveries and ask a friend or neighbour to collect your post. An overflowing post box is a dead giveaway that you are not home.
• If travelling abroad or locally, ensure you have the necessary travel insurance. Things such as inclement weather, sudden illness, medical emergencies, cancellation of flights, lost luggage etc. can cause substantial financial loss.
• Check your tyres, brakes and batteries before setting off on a journey
• Make sure your back up alarm battery is in a working condition so as not to be vulnerable during possible load shedding. Test your alarm system with your security company before going on holiday. Clear signage indicating that you make use of a security company may also help to discourage burglars.
• Make sure you have your Emergency Assist number saved on your cell phone in case of any roadside, home or medical emergency. Please contact us if you do not currently enjoy this extension and wish to activate same.
Please feel welcome to contact us should you have any queries or need any assistance.
Wishing you happy holidays from everyone at AIB Cape.
admin December 12, 2019
Posted In: Newsletters